Austell Natural Gas Terms and Conditions of Service
The following terms and conditions were set forth by Austell Natural Gas System and apply to all consumer accounts. By receiving service from Austell Natural Gas, the consumer agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions effective January 1, 2021. Terms and conditions are subject to change.
1. Fees and charges related to your gas service
- Taxes: The consumer is responsible for the applicable federal, state, and local taxes and charges. It is the responsibility of any tax-exempt entity to inform Austell Natural Gas and provide any documentation necessary for tax-exempt status.
- Penalties: A charge equal to 1.5% of the previous balance will be added to all bills carrying forward a balance.
- Returned payment charges: Gas service will be subject to disconnection for any returned payment. There is a $20.00 handling fee for all payment(s) returned to Austell Natural Gas. Any account that has had two (2) returned payments within twelve (12) consecutive months is subject to be barred from remitting payments by check, credit or debit card for twelve (12) months from date of the last returned payment. This also includes online electronic checks and bank drafts. Austell Gas is not responsible for contacting the customer regarding a payment being returned.
- Reconnection Fee: If gas service is disconnected for any reason, there will be a $37.00 reconnection fee and full payment will be required in order to have the gas service reconnected. Any payments or notification received after 3:00 p.m. will be reconnected the next business day. Only a certified Austell Gas Technician can disconnect or reconnect service at the meter when there is a lock and/or meter tampering tag in place. Austell Gas must have access to the meter for service. Please note that tampering with the meter by anyone other than a certified Austell Gas Technician can result in the meter being removed from the premise without notice. (See 8 Meter Tampering).
- Deposit: All new customers are required to pay an initial $100.00 deposit to open a gas account. The deposit may be waived if the customer can provide a letter of credit from another gas or power company showing: (1) Good Payment History (no late fees, interruptions in service, or returned payments) (2) Most recent twelve (12) months(information provided must be for the most recent twelve (12) months). The letter of credit must be received no later than 1 month from the date gas service is established. If the gas account is paid by the due date of the bill for 24 consecutive months, the deposit will be applied to the following month gas bill. Any account that is disconnected two (2) times in any twelve (12) month period is subject to an additional deposit.
- Additional Deposits: Payment of an additional deposit is at the discretion of Austell Gas. The amount is not to exceed 2.5 times the highest monthly gas bill.
2. Credit and Collections Policy
- Disconnection of Service due to non-payment:
- Service is subject to disconnection when the amount due is not paid prior to the disconnect date printed on the bill.
- A disconnection date will be printed on the gas bill.
- A notice by mail, prior to the disconnect date, stating the disconnect date and amount due.
- Service is subject to disconnection when the arranged payment amount due is not paid prior to the arrangement date
A. No further notice will be given prior to the disconnection of service.
- Disconnect orders are dispatched at 8:00 a.m. Payments received after 8:00 a.m. may be subject to a $37.00 reconnection fee.
- Service is subject to disconnection without notice any time a payment is returned to Austell Natural Gas. This also includes electronic checks and bank drafts.
- Austell Natural Gas will not make any attempt other than the notifications listed above (section 2(a) items 1a & 1b) to inform the customer that gas service is subject to being disconnected. A door hanger will be left instructing how to have gas service reconnected. Gas System collectors are unable to restore service and service technicians cannot receive payments.
- Service is subject to be disconnected without notice for any credit card payment(s) that are disputed with the credit card company.
- Service will not be disconnected if payments are made in accordance with any arrangements on the account. Arrangements are based on the information available at the time of the request. Once an arrangement is made in the system, it will not be changed or modified. The account will be subject to disconnection when the arranged payment amount is not received as agreed upon.
- A medical statement from a healthcare professional is required within seven (7) days prior to the disconnection date if a serious illness exists. Statement should include general nature of the illness, the expected duration of the illness and if the illness would worsen without gas service. Gas will not be disconnected during the time the illness is expected to last, or for one-month, whichever time is shorter. If needed, customers may extend this exemption one additional month by providing an updated medical statement from a healthcare professional. Austell Natural Gas will accept no more than two (2) medical statements in a twelve (12) month period
- No arrangements will be made after gas service is disconnected. Full payment is required before service is reinstated.
- Customer must notify Customer Service department by phone before 3:00 pm if payment is made online or by telephone to have gas service reconnected. If contacted after 3:00 pm, the same day reconnect option is subject to availability.
- Please refer to 1 (d), 1 (e) & 1 (f) for information regarding reconnect fees, deposits and additional deposits.
3. Payment and Billing options
- Payment options: Payment in full is due on or before the due date indicated on the bill. All checks or money orders received by mail or night deposit need to be made payable to Austell Natural Gas. Austell Gas is not responsible for incorrect postings of checks or money orders received (1) without the remittance stub(s) and (2) without the account number(s) indicated on the check or money order.
The following payment options are available:
- Telephone: Payments are taken by an automated phone payment system by dialing 770-948-1841 and following the prompts. Visa, MasterCard, Discover and American Express cards are accepted by Austell Natural Gas. Customers who know the amount they are required to pay can call 1-888-481-2261 (See 2.a.10).
- Online: Payments can be made online at www.austellgas.com. Choose the Pay Bill tab to make a payment. Please read all notes and directions to avoid payment issues. Customers can also pay their bill(s) by making a one-time payment or by setting up a user profile. Payments can be made by E-check, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, PayPal and Venmo. AutoPay is available once a user profile has been created.
- Quick Collect powered by Western Union: Customers can make a payment at any Western Union Bill Pay location that accepts Quick Collect walk-in bill payments throughout the United States (See 2.a.10).
- Mail: Payments may be mailed to the office using the envelope enclosed in your monthly bill. The payment address is 2838 Joe Jerkins Blvd., P.O. Box 685, Austell, Georgia 30168-0685.
- Drop Box: A drop box is located on the side of the main business office at 2838 Joe Jerkins Blvd, Austell, Georgia 30106. Payments are retrieved and posted once a day at 3:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.
- Bank Draft: Application for bank draft can be found at our website at www.austellgas.com.
- Billing Options: Austell Natural Gas adjusts rates monthly according to the cost of Natural Gas. There is not a fixed rate available. In addition to the monthly billing option, customers may choose Budget Billing. Please read the following so that you have a complete understanding of the requirements and process of budget billing.
- Gas account must have 13 months of billing history.
- Account balance must be zero (0).
- During the months of August through March, a good payment history (no late payments) is required in addition to requirements 1 & 2.
- During the months of April through July is open enrollment. During open enrollment, the gas account must have 13 billed months of billing history and a zero balance.
How Budget Billing works:
- The amount due is calculated by averaging the last 12 billings on the account. The amount will fluctuate slightly month-to-month but allows for a relatively consistent billing over a 12-month period.
- The amount due will be greater in the summer months than actual gas charges in order to build up a credit balance. The credit balance allows for the amount due being lower in the wintertime than actual gas charges.
- Customers will automatically be removed from budget billing if the amount due is not paid by the due date.
- If removed from Budget Billing, customers will not be eligible to request Budget Billing for 12 months from the date removed. After the 12-month period, the above Budget Billing requirements in place at that time must be met.
- Once removed from Budget Billing the customer is responsible for any outstanding balance on the account by the due date or disconnection date on the bill.
4. Senior Citizen Discount
A senior citizen discount of $7.50 is available for customers meeting certain requirements. The requirements are as follows:
- Combined income of household must be less than $16,000 annually.
- Applicant must be 65 yrs of age or older.
- Applicant must have gas service in their name and reside at the location.
- Applications are subject to verification at the discretion of Austell Gas.
5. Establishing, Transferring and Terminating Service
- Establishing Service: To establish service customers must contact Austell Gas by phone, fax, mail or email. A valid Social Security Number and name are required to establish an account. The Social Security Number and name will be verified using E-Port powered by Equifax. Accounts that are unverifiable will be subject to an additional deposit. Refer to 1 (e) & (f) for deposit information related to establishing a gas account. An additional deposit is required if a valid Social Security Number and valid U.S. issued driver’s license or I.D. is not provided. Refer to 1 (e) & (f) for deposit information related to establishing a gas account. Austell Gas requires one-day notice when establishing service at a new address or requesting for a meter to be installed. New service established by phone, mail, fax or email will be provided an account number. Request(s) for new service via mail, email or fax may be delayed due to weekends or holidays and are processed for the next available business day. Please allow 24 – 48 hours for online requests to be processed.
- Transferring Service: To transfer service customers must contact Austell Gas by phone, fax, mail or email. Service can be transferred if a customer is moving within the service area. A one-day notice is required when transferring service. Transfer of service by phone, mail, fax or email will be provided a new account number. Customers are required to pay the past due amount owed on the account being transferred at the time of request. A final bill will be sent for the old account indicating that the balance transferred to the new account. Transferred charges must be paid on the new account by the disconnect date printed on the first bill received at the new service location. Austell Gas is not responsible for any payments made on closed or inactive accounts. Request(s) for transfer of service via mail, email or fax may be delayed due to weekends or holidays and are processed for the next available business day. Please allow 24 – 48 hours for online requests to be processed.
- Terminating Service: To terminate service customers must contact Austell Gas by phone, fax, mail or email and provide the date service is to be terminated along with a forwarding address to mail the final bill and/or deposit refund for accounts with a deposit greater than the final gas charges. A one-day notice is required when terminating service. Service terminated by phone, mail, fax or email will be provided a confirmation number. The confirmation number should be saved and used in any future communications regarding the termination of service. Any disputes regarding the termination of service will require the confirmation number. Request for termination of service via mail, email or fax may be delayed due to weekends or holidays and are processed for the following business day. Please allow 24 – 48 hours for online requests to be processed.
Note: If the customer fails to notify Austell Gas and/or no work order/confirmation number can be provided, the customer is responsible for paying all charges incurred up to the date of termination of service.
6. Final Bills, Deposit Refunds and Credit Balance Refunds
- Final bills are generated when:
- Termination of service is requested. A meter reading is recorded on the day the customer requests service to be terminated (5c). The final bill will consist of gas usage from the last reading date up to the termination date. Any deposit at that time is applied to the account. The customer is responsible for providing a correct forwarding address to ensure proper delivery of the final bill and/or deposit refund.
- Any gas service that remains disconnected and is not reconnected within 5 business days will be final billed. Any deposit at that time is applied to the account balance and either a check or final bill will be mailed to the address on file.
NOTE: An account that is final billed and the deposit is applied, requires a deposit and reconnect fee to re-establish service. The deposit amount will be no less than the deposit applied to the final billing. Please refer to 1(d), 1(e) & 1(f) for information regarding reconnect fees, deposits and additional deposits.
- Deposit Refunds:
The deposit is applied to all final billed accounts. Once the deposit has been applied, the customer will receive a final bill indicating the balance owed. In the event the deposit is greater than the balance, a credit balance will be indicated, and a check will be issued within 30 days of the final bill.
- Credit Balance Refunds:
All inactive accounts with a credit balance will receive a letter via U.S. mail to address indicated on the account at closing, specifying the amount of the credit. The customer must sign and return the letter by fax, mail or email for a check to be issued.
Active accounts will carry forward the credit balance unless the customer requests a refund check. Any customer on Budget Billing with a credit balance must request for their account to be analyzed to determine if the account is eligible for a refund check to be issued. The customer may be required to keep up to six (6) months of the credit balance in order to qualify for a credit balance refund and to remain on Budget Billing. An account that requests a refund check of the full credit balance will be removed from Budget Billing and will not be eligible for reinstatement until open enrollment. Please refer to 3b (How Budget Billing Works).
7. Accounts and Billing Information
It is the responsibility of the customer to provide accurate information when establishing gas service. The U.S. Postal Service will notify Austell Gas when a request is made to have mail forwarded to a new address. Austell Gas will change (without notice) an address based on the information received from the U.S. Postal Service. Austell Gas is not responsible for any charges or actions related to a customer not receiving a bill due to incorrect mailing information.
Bills are mailed monthly to the address provided by the account holder unless the U.S. Postal Service indicates a request has been made to have mail forwarded to another location. If no bill is received within thirty (30) days of either (1) the receipt of your last bill or (2) from the date the service was established, you will need to contact the Austell Natural Gas main office at 770-948-1841 to resolve the issue. Non-receipt of monthly bill does not validate non-payment of monthly bill.
8. Meter Tampering
Customers are responsible for any negligent damage to a meter regardless of the situation. All service or maintenance issues regarding a meter must be reported to Austell Natural Gas at 770-948-1841, option 1. Tampering with a gas meter is a criminal offense and Austell Natural Gas will notify the authorities. Any meter(s) removed for tampering or unauthorized gas usage requires documentation, reconnection fee and additional $300 deposit and any other related charges will be required to reconnect the gas service. Not only is it illegal but also dangerous for consumers to tamper with the gas meter and/or attempt to connect or reconnect the gas service.
Austell Gas must have access to the gas meter for service and maintenance. If Austell Gas cannot gain access to the meter, the service will be disconnected at the street and the customer will incur construction charges.
9. Website and Online Services
Visit Austell Gas online at www.austellgas.com for billing information, energy saving tips, safety tips, newsletters and links to other natural gas related websites. Please allow 24 – 48 hours for online requests to be processed.
10. Sales and Marketing
Schedule an appointment with Sales and Marketing to visit our showroom to purchase appliances or parts by calling 770-948-1841.