The following terms and conditions were set forth by Austell Natural Gas System and apply to all consumer accounts. By receiving service from Austell Natural Gas, the consumer agrees to be bound by these terms and conditions effective January 1, 2013.
I. Fees and charges related to your gas service
- Taxes: The consumer is responsible for the applicable federal, state and local taxes and charges. It is the responsibility of any tax-exempt entity to inform Austell Natural Gas and provide any documentation necessary for tax-exempt status.
- Penalties: A charge equal to 1.5% of the previous balance will be added to all bills carrying forward a balance.
- Return check charges: Gas service will be subject to disconnection for any return check. There is a $20.00 handling fee for all checks returned to Austell Natural Gas. Austell Gas is not responsible for contacting the customer in regards to a check being returned.
- Reconnection Fee: If gas service is disconnected for any reason, there will be a $37.00 reconnection fee and full payment will be required in order to have the gas service reconnected. A collection fee of $30.00 will be charged for payments accepted at the residence before gas service is disconnected. Any payments or notification received after 3:00 pm will be reconnected the next business day.
- Deposit: All new customers are required to pay an initial $100.00 deposit to open a gas account. The deposit may be waived if the customer can provide a letter of credit from another gas or power company showing: (1) Good Payment History (no late fees or interruptions in service) (2) Most recent 12-months (information provided must be for the most recent 12-months). The letter of credit must be received no later than 1 month from the date gas service is established. If the gas account is paid by the due date of the bill for 24 consecutive months, the deposit will be applied to the following month gas bill. Any account that is disconnected two (2) times in any twelve (12) month period is subject to an additional deposit.
- Additional Deposits: Payment of an additional deposit is at the discretion of Austell Gas. The amount is not to exceed 2.5 times the highest monthly gas bill.
II. Credit and Collections Policy
- Disconnection of Service due to non-payment:
- Service is subject to disconnection when the amount due is not paid PRIOR to the disconnect date printed on the bill.
- Disconnect orders are dispatched at 8:00 am. Payments received after 8:00 am may be subject to a $37.00 reconnect fee.
- Service is subject to disconnection without notice any time a check is returned to Austell Natural Gas. This also includes online electronic checks and bank drafts.
- All accounts due to be disconnected will receive the following:
1. A disconnect date will be printed on the gas bill.
2. A notice by mail, prior to the disconnect date, stating the disconnect date and amount due.
5. Austell Natural Gas will not make any attempt other than those listed above to inform the customer that gas service is subject to being disconnected. A door hanger will be left instructing how to have gas service reconnected. Gas System collectors are unable to restore service and service technicians cannot receive payments.
6. Service is subject to be disconnected without notice for any credit card payments that are disputed with the credit card company.
- Service will not be disconnected if payments are made in accordance with any arrangements on the account. Arrangements are based on the information available at the time of the request. Once an arrangement is made in the system, it cannot be changed or modified.
- A medical statement from a healthcare professional is required within seven (7) days before cutoff date if a serious illness exists. Statement should include general nature of the illness, the expected duration of the illness and if the illness would worsen without gas service. Gas will not be cut off during the time the illness is expected to last, or for one month, whichever time is shorter. If needed, customers may extend this exemption one additional month by providing an updated medical statement from a healthcare professional.
- No arrangements will be made after gas service is disconnected. Full payment is required before service is reinstated.
- Customer must notify credit and collection department by phone before 3:00 pm if payment is made online or by telephone to have gas service reconnected.
- Please refer to 1 (d), 1 (e) & 1 (f) for information regarding reconnect fees, deposits and additional deposits.
III. Payment and Billing options
- Payment options: Payment in full is due on or before the due date indicated on the bill. All checks received by mail and in the main office need to be made payable to: Austell Natural Gas. Austell Gas is not responsible for incorrect postings of checks received (1) without the remittance stub(s) and (2) without the account number(s) indicated on the check or money order.
The following payment options are available:
1. Main Office: The main office is located at 2838 Joe Jerkins Blvd., Austell, Georgia 30106. Office hours are from 8:00 am – 4:45 pm, Monday through Friday. Customers can make payments, establish service and take care of any issues related to their gas account.
2. Telephone: Payments are taken by an automated phone payment system by dialing 770-948-1841 and following the prompts. Visa, MasterCard and Discover are the only credit cards accepted by Austell Natural Gas. Customers who know the amount they are required to pay can call 1-866-735-7745. (See 2.a.10)
3. Online: Payments can be made online at www.austellgas.com. Choose the billing tab to make a payment. Please read all notes and directions to avoid payment issues. Customers who know the amount they are required to pay can visit https://paynow7.speedpay.com/austell/index.asp. (See 2.a.10)
4. Bank Drafts: Payments can be automatically drafted from your bank account on a monthly basis. This option requires the customer to request an application as well as returning both the completed application and a voided check of the gas account holder to the main office. Contact customer service at 770-948-1841 for additional information.
5. Mail: Payments may be mailed to the office using the envelope enclosed in your monthly bill. The payment address is 2838 Joe Jerkins Blvd., P.O. Box 685, Austell, Georgia 30168-0685.
6. Drop Box: A drop box is located on the side of the main business office. Payments are retrieved once a day at 8:00 am, Monday-Friday. Any payment after 8:00 am will be posted the next business day.
b. Billing Options: Austell Natural Gas adjusts rates monthly according to the cost of Natural Gas. There is not a fixed rate available. In addition to the monthly billing option, customers may choose Budget Billing. Please read the following so that you have a complete understanding of the requirements and process of budget billing.
1. Gas account must have 13 months of billing history.
2. Account balance must be zero.
3. During the months of August through March, a good payment history (no late payments) is required in addition to requirements 1 & 2.
How budget billing works:
1. The amount due is calculated by averaging the last 12 billings on the account. The amount will fluctuate slightly month-to-month but allows for a relatively consistent billing over a 12-month period.
2. The amount due will be greater in the summer months than actual gas charges in order to build up a credit balance. The credit balance allows for the amount due being lower in the winter time than actual gas charges.
3. Customers will automatically be removed from budget billing if the amount due is not paid by the due date.
4. If removed from budget billing, customers will not be eligible to request budget billing for 12 months from the date removed. After the 12 month period, the above budget billing requirements in place at that time must be met.
5. Once removed from budget the customer is immediately responsible for the balance on the account.
IV. Senior Citizen Discount
A senior citizen discount of $7.50 is available for customers meeting certain requirements. The requirements are as follows:
1. Combined income of household must be less than $12,500 annually.
2. Applicant must be 65 yrs of age or older.
3. Applicant must have gas service in their name and reside at the location.
V. Establishing, Transferring and Terminating Service
a. Establishing Service: To establish gas service at a new address, a valid Social Security Number and name is needed. An additional deposit is required if a valid Social Security Number and name is not provided. Refer to 1 (e) & (f) for deposit information related to establishing a gas account. Austell Gas requires one-day notice when establishing service at a new address or requesting for a meter to be installed. Requests made on Friday to have a meter installed may be postponed until the following business day.
b. Transferring Service: Service can be transferred if a customer is moving within the service area. Customers are required to pay the past due amount owed on the account being transferred at the time of the request. A final bill will be sent for the old account indicating the balance transferred. Transferred charges must be paid, ON THE NEW ACCOUNT, by the disconnect date printed on the first bill received at the location service was transferred to. Austell Gas is not responsible for any payments made on closed/inactive accounts.
c. Terminating Service: To terminate service customers must contact Austell Gas (phone, fax, mail or email) and provide the date service is to be terminated along with a forwarding address to mail the final bill and deposit refund for accounts with a deposit greater than the final gas charges. A one-day notice is required when terminating service. Service terminated by phone or email will be provided a confirmation number. Customers will need to contact Austell Gas for a confirmation number if service is terminated by fax or mail. The confirmation number should be saved and used in any future communications regarding the termination of service. Any disputes regarding the termination of service will require the confirmation number.
Note: If the customer fails to notify Austell Gas and/or no work order/confirmation number can be provided, the customer is responsible for paying all charges incurred up to the termination date.
VI. Final Bills, Deposit Refunds and Credit Balance Refunds
a. Final bills are generated when:
1. Termination of service is requested. A meter reading is recorded on the day the customer requests service to be terminated. The final bill will consist of gas usage from the last reading date up to the termination date. Any deposit at that time is applied to the account. Customer is responsible for providing a correct forwarding address to ensure proper delivery of the final bill and/or deposit refund.
2. Any gas service that remains disconnected and is not reconnected within 5 business days is final billed automatically. Any deposit at that time is applied to the account balance and either a check or final bill will be mailed to the address on file.
NOTE: If an account is final billed and the deposit is applied, a deposit and reconnect fee will be required to re-establish service. The deposit amount will be no less than the deposit applied to the final billing.
b. Deposit Refunds:
The deposit is applied to all accounts final billed. Once the deposit has been applied, the customer will receive a final bill indicating the balance owed. In the event the deposit is greater than the balance, a credit balance will be indicated and a check will be issued within 30 days of the final bill.
c. Credit Balance Refunds:
All inactive accounts with a credit balance will receive a letter via U.S. mail indicating the amount of the credit. The customer must sign and return the letter in order for a check to be issued.
Active accounts will carry forward the credit balance unless the customer requests a refund check. Any customer on budget billing with a credit balance due must request to be removed from budget billing in order to receive a refund check.
VII. Accounts and Billing Information
It is the responsibility of the customer to provide accurate information when establishing gas service. The U.S. Postal Service will notify Austell Gas when a request is made to have mail forwarded to a new address. Austell Gas will change (without notice) an address based on the information received from U.S. Postal Service. Austell Gas is not responsible for any charges or actions related to a customer not receiving a bill due to incorrect mailing information.
Bills are mailed monthly to the address provided by the account holder unless the U.S. Postal Service indicates a request has been made to have mail forwarded to another location. If no bill is received within thirty (30) days of either (1) the receipt of your last bill or (2) from the date the service was established, you will need to contact the Austell Natural Gas main office to resolve the issue.
VIII. Meter Tampering
Customers are responsible for any negligent damage to a meter regardless of the situation. All service/maintenance issues in regards to a meter must be reported to Austell Natural Gas. Tampering with a gas meter is a criminal offense and police will be notified. Not only is it illegal but also dangerous for consumers to tamper with the gas meter and/or attempt to reconnect the gas service.
Meters that are tampered with are subject to be removed or sealed. An additional deposit will be required to reconnect the gas service. If Austell Gas cannot gain access to the meter, the service will be disconnected at the street and the customer will incur construction charges.
IX. Website and Online Services
Visit Austell Gas online at www.austellgas.com for billing information, energy saving tips, safety tips, newsletters and links to other natural gas related websites.
The billing information section found on the home page allows customers to pay their bill, check account balances, change address, transfer service and disconnect service. Please allow 24 – 48 hours for online requests to be processed.