Natural gas is a clean, reliable and safe source of energy. Reasonable care should be exercised to insure the safe operation of gas appliances. System personnel are available at all times to investigate gas leaks or situations where hazard or damage to property could occur.
If you detect faint whiffs of this odor:
Investigate. If possible “follow your nose” to the source. It may be only a pilot light that’s out, or a burner valve partially turned on…something easily and safely corrected. If the source of the gas cannot be located or if the odor persists, call Austell Gas for assistance: 770-948-1841, option “1”.
If you smell gas odor rising intensely, or it seems to be everywhere:
OUTDOORS – Leave the area and call Austell Gas System IMMEDIATELY at 770-948-1841, option “1”.
INDOORS – Leave the premises IMMEDIATELY…
Call before you dig:
Austell Gas System is a member of the Utilities Protection Center (U.P.C.). Notification of planned excavation should be made to the Utilities Protection Center at 1-800-282-7411. The U.P.C. is open for calls 7:00am to 4:30pm Monday through Friday except for certain holidays. We will gladly locate and mark the location of our service lines and mains.
Heating and Cooling Tips:
- Maintain comfortable but not too high temperatures when setting your thermostat while heating. Increase settings during the winter but keep in mind to monitor the level to avoid continuously high gas bills.
- Install a programmable thermostat that adjusts the temperature automatically.
- Check furnace filter periodically.
- During the winter open drapes and blinds to allow for the sunlight to help heat the house during the day. Close drapes and blinds at night to reduce the cold air coming in through windows and doors.
- Be sure that heating and cooling vents are not blocked by furniture and/or draperies.
- Wash laundry with milder water instead of hot water. By adjusting settings on washer, less gas will be needed for the desired water temperatures.
- Reduce shower length, allowing less hot water to be used.
- The above also holds true for dishwashers. Avoid washing half loads when washing dishes.
- Position the freezer and refrigerator away from cooking area as much as possible. Also try to keep refrigerator and freezer full.
- Clean lint from dryer regularly.
- Consider replacing any gas appliances that are more than 10-12 years old.
- Check insulation levels where possible. Insulation levels in the attic can easily be seen. Insulation in the walls are more difficult to detect.